Neues Rathaus

Neues Rathaus
wikimedia, Kora27

The New Town Hall, built at the beginning of the 20th century by City Planning Officer Richard Möbius and inaugurated in 1911, blends harmoniously with the Old Town Hall in the styles of Historicism and Art Nouveau, forming a sort of twin town hall complex.

The New Town Hall is Chemnitz’s third town hall. It became necessary when Chemnitz reached the 100,000-inhabitant mark at the turn of the century and thus became a major city. A Roland statue, approximately five metres high, by the Dresden sculptor Alexander Höfer, and the city coat of arms adorn the corner facing the market square. The interior features elaborate, colourful Art Nouveau décor.

A particular highlight in the City Council Chamber is the mural by Max Klinger (1918) with the title ‘Work – Prosperity – Beauty’, which is emblematic of Chemnitz.

The New Town Hall was the only building in the city centre to survive the air raids in March 1945 virtually unscathed.

Since 1978, the town hall tower has housed a carillon – a tower chime – comprising 48 bells cast by Apolda’s last master bell-founder, Franz Peter Schilling, which is played regularly. The Chemnitz Tourist Information Centre (Markt 1) is located on the market-side of the New Town Hall.

Location is being retrieved …

0371 690 680
E-Mail
Zur Website gehen
Wheelmap-Karte
09111 Chemnitz
Markt 1